Unity Spiritual Center is part of the worldwide spiritual movement called Unity. Unity is a New Thought spiritual philosophy that teaches that the power of God lies within each individual, regardless of religious affiliation (or no religious affiliation). It is the responsibility of each one of us to access that sacred power for the healing, prosperity, loving relationships and all other blessings available to us. Our ultimate goal is the realization of our oneness with God, and each other.
Every Unity practitioner, or Truth Student, is free to believe what he or she chooses about God, as well as our place in this beautiful and abundant universe. However, there are five concepts that Unity holds to be basic Truths. Most Unity practitioners incorporate these tenets into their belief systems. They are known as Unity’s Five Basic Principles:
- God is Absolute Good. We don’t believe God is a mean and vindictive man in the sky waiting to punish us for failing. God (Spirit, Principle, or First Cause) is found within our very being as Love, Peace, Joy, Wisdom, Light, Life, and Perfection Itself. These God qualities are available and accessible to all of us at any moment when we turn within to where our Creator resides. We believe that there is only one Power and one Presence in the universe and in our lives – God the Good.
- Since God is Good, then all of us, as God’s creation, must also be good. We do not believe in the concept of Original Sin. Instead, we believe that we have been created in Original Blessing. Each of us are God’s wonderful, perfect offspring at this very moment, even if we have forgotten that Truth. God created each of us perfect just as we are. Jesus, our great Teacher and Elder Brother reminded us in John 10:34: “You are gods.” However, to access the fullness of this good, we have to awaken to it and become a co-creator with God.
- We access God’s wholeness, prosperity, peace of mind, and joy beyond any imagined, by transforming our thoughts, words and actions from negative, limiting, and defeatist ones, to positive, joyful and optimist ones. We are responsible for the kind of lives we lead, regardless of what life has been up to this point. When we change our thoughts/beliefs, we change our lives.
- Through affirmative prayer and meditation, we make intimate contact with God within us. When we take time during the day to turn everything over to Spirit within, we receive exactly the right information needed to make our lives work. We must take time daily to embrace the silence for the renewal of our minds, souls and bodies.
- Knowing these Truths intellectually isn’t enough; we must implement them daily – for the realization of our oneness with God, and to be a blessing and of service to others. Inspired by the words found in James 2:26, “Faith without works is dead,” we endeavor to incorporate our teachings in our daily lives. With joyful enthusiasm we make life a great adventure. We are blessed beyond measure by the creative use of our Truth principles.
Although we consider Jesus the Christ to be our Great Teacher and Elder Brother, and the Christ-based teachings to be our primary learning path, we bless and honor other spiritual teachings and philosophies as well. Unity welcomes all interested individuals to join us for our services, classes, retreats and other activities without coercion, proselytizing, or pressure to conform to our teachings. Unity East celebrates the divinity of every creation of God, regardless of belief system, ethnic background, age, gender, or sexual orientation.
Unity Spiritual Center is a member of Unity Worldwide Ministries.
Unity Spiritual Center is affiliated with Unity Institute, Silent Unity Prayer Ministry, and The Daily Word.